Wednesday, February 11, 2015

England

As promised, here are a few photos from my time in England a couple of weekends ago. England is a beautiful country and, in particular, York and Durham are two beautiful English cities.

My time in each was very short, but I got a small taste of both. You’ll see from the photos that the sun decided to shine during my time in York and retreated during my time in Durham.

This is York Minster, another stunningly elaborate European cathedral.

IMG_4212 

IMG_4227

IMG_4251

York is home to one of the most photographed streets in the UK: The Shambles. I do it no justice with my photography, but neither did it inspire me as one might suppose it would given its popularity.

IMG_4321

The Old City of York is beautiful, though, and a place I would enjoy spending more time exploring.

IMG_4188

After leaving York I caught a train north to Durham, where my supervisor served as an Anglican Bishop in his previous life. The weather was horrid less than pleasant during my six hours in the town, so I spent quite a lot of time sitting in and exploring the cathedral. It was a good thing it was a Sunday. Unfortunately, no photography was allowed inside. This is the view from the rail station. My short time there was enjoyable, despite the weather, and not least due to its connections to Professor Wright.

IMG_4380

Here’s one shot of the Old City streets of Durham when the sideways rain had stopped for 30 seconds.

IMG_4410

The United Kingdom really does have some gems in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment