Friday, May 15, 2015

Craigden

Being the epitomic Type A personality that I am, I not only have a bucket list of to-dos for my final weeks here in Scotland, but the list is a literal list. If it was just confined to the dark recesses of my mind, I would fail to get the satisfaction from crossing items off the list. And that satisfaction, my friends, to a true Type-A personality, is almost better than the doing of the activities themselves.

Two nights ago I was able to cross one thing off the list: seeing the blue bells of Craigden. On a whim, Judith and I decided to head into the woods, declaring that if it didn’t happen just then, while the sun was out and the night was free, it probably wouldn’t happen. I’m glad that it did.

The blue bells were stunning, covering the woodland floor like carpet.  Craigden is a stretch of woods that runs along the Ceres Burn about twenty miles from St Andrews. It’s an off-the-beaten-path kind of place that only locals know about, and even then many are less enlightened than others. A guarded secret, and I can see why.

IMG_5383

IMG_5420

We invited Holly Pops to come along for the ride. An invitation she gladly accepted.

IMG_5386

IMG_5343

Along the way we met these munchkins. Aren’t they sweet?

IMG_5408

Sometimes it’s the spontaneous, unplanned, on-a-whim adventures that hold the most memories.

IMG_5381

1 comment: