Tuesday, July 21, 2015

A New Normal

Did I ever tell you about the time that I moved to Spokane, where I would (fingers crossed) spend the rest of my adult life? I didn’t? Hm. Well, allow me…

My passport was stamped for the final time on my re-entry to the States on June 25th. US Customs never smelled so nice. From then I spent one week in Minnesota, visiting friends, squeezing the niece and nephew, unpacking my Scotland life, repacking my pre-Scotland and post-Scotland lives, and, with the help of Stan, a master woodworker down the road, building a dining table (see finished product in photos below).

On the weekend of the 4th, we loaded the moving truck with my meager possessions I’ve collected around the world. After six months of waiting, I was finally heading west… beyond Cooke City. As of today, I have been in Washington for two weeks, and they’ve been two weeks of chaos, introductions, details, shopping, heat, exploring, ‘Craigslisting’, hiking, and nesting. It’s been a full two weeks. And as of 2.5 hours ago, I am now an official resident of Washington. When they punched a hole in my MN license, they also punched a hole in my heart. I love Minnesota and am proud to be known and recognized as Minnesotan. How long will it be before people stop guessing whether I’m from Minnesota or Canada? The day someone can’t recognize my accent will be a sad day. The last major task now to be accomplished is switching my car plates—another bittersweet day.

Alas, I am so grateful to be here that even the thought of giving up Minnesota is positively bearable. 

I have a dream job.

I have an unbelievably spacious office.

I have a quiet and clean apartment.

I have new friends whom I won’t be saying ‘goodbye’ to in 2-4 years.

I have a paycheck!! (Well, I will sometime this month, anyway!)

I have mountains, rivers, and lakes (not to mention Cooke City!) at my finger tips.

God. Is. Good.

Today was Day #1 of my new normal, which means only that I spent the day in the office actually working on class syllabi and lectures. Life is good.

Here are a few pictures of my new flat apartment. It’s just what I was hoping for.

Notice my homemade table!

IMG_6774

Isn’t it pretty?!

IMG_6771

IMG_6783

IMG_6784

IMG_6786

I also have a spare bedroom and bed, so guests are always welcome!!

Someday I’ll show you a picture of my office, when the all-white walls get some color on them and when my books look less like the victims of an earthquake. Probably around this time next year. :)

And here’s a photo from Northern Idaho, from a 1-day, 12-mile hike I did with several other professors last week. We were just a few miles from the Canadian border. It was a beautiful introduction to the surrounding landscapes.

IMG_6760

I think I’ll like it here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment